Thursday, April 2, 2009

Tuesday

Rode hard at Shasta and got some kickers down pat...pretty soon I should be shredding at the professional level alongside Mr. Shaun White. Yeah right.

Then I fished the Upper Sac on the way home. Got one in about 15 mins, and feeling all cocky, decided to try to cross to fish a sick seam on the other side. Made it about halfway across before the current pushed my foot off the rock I "jumped" to. Swam for a few seconds and then realized,

"Aw shit, this is too deep! Nice work dumbass."

Was about 15 ft from a gnarly 250 yd long whitewater section (flowing 1750 cfs)and was able to pull away onto a boulder - with the help of 6 lb 8 oz newborn infant Jesus. Sat there for a sec, soaked to the bone, shaking my head in disbelief. I had to mob upstream a good 30 feet before attempting to get back or I would have died March 31, 2009.

Made it back with only losing a half eaten package of beef jerky and destroying my cell. Lesson learned: Don't be a dumbass.