Friday, June 19, 2009

What happened....

Saturday was two Gary's (word stolen from KP) from downtown San Francisco, who could not grasp the idea of a drag-free dead-drift, instead implementing a Northwestern swung fly technique only to catch pike minnow after pike minnow. Great. Yet on the drifts where the fly actually got deep enough, trout were connected. Amazing.

Sunday was a good day with 2 dudes who could fish. Unfortunately one guy had a gimpy knee and had to cut out early, but not until he snapped photos of a 20" brown I patiently and skillfully coached his buddy into. Fucking sweet. We got a handful of rainbows too. Can you say tippity tip?

Then I heard a really interesting thing. A few days ago, a dude asked if you need a license to fly fish.

"Hmmmm," I thought, "This guy cannot be serious...?" This would be a good time to use Red Foreman's my foot in your ass signature line....

"Yeah you actually DO need a license to fly fish, and they are $50, cash." Is what I wanted to say, however, I didn't say anything and just let the other dudes do the explaining.

Also caught an 8" striper that nearly pulled the rod out of my hand. Ok maybe not, but it was a striper. That counts, right?